Tracking your Medications
It is very important to keep track of the medicine you have used so you can plan ahead and replace your inhaler before you run out.
- Use the following method to figure out when you will need a new inhaler.
- With a brand new inhaler divide the number of puffs in the canister (which is typically written on the box) by the number of puffs you take each day.
- The number you get will be the number of days the canister should last. For example, if you take 4 puffs each day from a 200 puff canister, then you will need a new canister every 50 days.
- Use a calendar to mark the day when your medication will run out. Plan on filling your prescription a few days before your medication runs out. If you will need a new prescription in less than 30 days talk to your medical provider.
- Write the refill date on the canister as well as the calendar.